Industrial Design Intern
Full-time, Summer 2017
Design that Matters (DtM) is seeking a driven, socially-committed, entrepreneurial individual with an
industrial background and strong CAD and prototyping skills to join our summer student design team.
In a ten-week design sprint, we will challenge you to develop a functional prototype of a medical
device for newborns in developing countries, based on work already in progress at DtM.
Possible challenge areas include: a newborn warming device to prevent hypothermia, a user-friendly
pulse-oximeter for pneumonia diagnosis, and an Internet of Things (IoT) remote-monitoring tool for
medical equipment donations. As a member of the design team, you will have access to our rapid
prototyping studio, which includes 3D printers, an Epilog laser cutter, a small CNC mill and space to
make a mess.
As part of the design team, you will learn and apply DtM’s product development process, which will
include market research, the development of product specifications and requirements, and many many
iterations of concept development, testing and revision. As a final deliverable, you will present your
physical prototype and the detailed project documentation to DtM team members and local experts in
product design, newborn medicine and global health.
During the sprint, you might be flexing your creative muscles to:
- Brainstorm product concepts through doodles and post-it notes with DtM and local experts
- Model and render product features, parts and assemblies in CAD
- Build remarkable physical “looks-like” and “works-like” design concepts using desktop manufacturing tools, hand tools, power tools and whatever else you can get your hands on.
- Integrate interactivity through tools like Arduino to measure inputs and control outputs
- Test key product assumptions and features through interviews and prototype demos
Given that we’re a small team, you might also:
- host a studio tour group and demo your work-in-progress
- represent Design that Matters at a conference or a PR event
- take a turn carrying out the trash, or running to the post office for stamps
You have some project experience under your belt and you’re excited to take on challenges. You enjoy
collaborating with a team, but you’re also a good fit with DtM's culture of self-education and DIY.
- Rising senior or master’s degree in industrial design or a related field
- Strong CAD skills: Autodesk Inventor, Fusion360
- Fab Lab or rapid prototyping experience: laser cutter, 3D printer, Arduino
- International and/or social sector experience would be an advantage but not necessary
HOW TO APPLY
Email a cover letter and work experience to email@example.com. Please put “[SUMMER
INTERN]” in the subject line of your email so it doesn’t get buried in our inbox. In your letter, please
include links to at least two of your own projects you think highlight your qualifications for this